KCI provided engineering services to perform all planning, design, cost estimating and construction phase services to prepare final bid documents to replace 830 linear feet of existing six-inch cast iron water main via pipe bursting. The existing pipe was replaced with a new eight-inch PVC pipe through static bursting methods. The existing pipe passed through different terrains including stream, trees, roadway, and private properties. Engineers prepared design plans, prequalified bidders, and provided inspection and administration services during construction.
By utilizing pipe bursting methodology, the city of Bowie was able to:
- Significantly reduce design and construction costs
- Shorten design and construction schedules
- Limit pavement disturbance
- Lower the risk of damage to adjacent properties
- Eliminate environmental concerns associated with the stream crossing