KCI provided site/civil engineering, landscape architecture, surveying, environmental planning, and construction administration services for the $21 million redevelopment of the dilapidated Flag House Courts public housing community.
Built in 1955, Flag House Courts was one of Baltimore’s first attempts to relocate lower income families to skyscraper communities, part of a national trend in the 1950s and 60s. Flag House Courts covered 11 acres and overlooked one of Baltimore’s oldest museums, the Star-Spangled Banner Flag House museum from which the project gets its name.
On February 10, 2001, the implosion of the three high-rise buildings making up Flag House Courts paved way for a mixed-use, mixed-income community. This new community entails the complete reconstruction of the original city street grid and includes 338 units of housing, 20,000 SF of new and refurbished retail space, and green space. It also encompasses a 40,000 SF community center housing a micro-business center, a head start program, and a supportive services center.
Design elements completed by KCI included road layout, water and sewer mains and services, grading, drainage, erosion and sediment control, conduit, and landscaping. Our team also coordinated with the city of Baltimore and other agencies to obtain the required permits and approvals. In addition, KCI collected numerous environmental samples to characterize subsurface contamination at the site, removed four underground storage tanks (UST), and performed air monitoring for radon and volatile organic compounds (VOC). KCI remained intimately involved in the project providing construction administration services until final completion.