As part of the firm’s ongoing relationship with SMJHC (Sarasota Manatee Jewish Housing Council), KCI was selected to perform services as an Owner’s Representative construction manager on behalf of SMJHC to facilitate the planning, design (as needed) and construction of various projects identified as part of the proposed renovations at their Aviva Campus.
SMJHC owns and operates the 27-acre campus providing independent living, assisted living and skilled nursing facilities. The campus consists of two main mid-rise buildings as well as a number of other support facilities. Kobernick House is a 290-room independent living community constructed with three residential wings connected to a central full-service core containing restaurants, recreational facilities, library, salon, meeting space, administrative offices, clinical space and activity rooms. Anchin Pavilion is a three-story, 120 bed, sub-acute care facility that houses an assisted living component, as well as the Benderson Skilled Nursing Facility.
KCI has enjoyed a long relationship with SMJHC and is very pleased to serve as their engineering and construction management consultant of choice for campus master planning and significant interim renovation projects. These projects are part of an entire campus rebranding campaign and a cornerstone in their strategy to keep pace with the competitive senior living market in southwest Florida.
Bryan R. Lawson, PE, LEED AP, CCMSenior Vice President, Construction Management Discipline Manager
Projects include major renovation and/or new construction for the entrance facility, porte cochere, vestibule/lobby and administrative offices, bistro café, fitness center, pool and recreation areas, wellness center, multipurpose room/auditorium, library, salon, and rotunda. KCI’s services for this task include:
- Identification, evaluation and selection of a qualified designers and trade contractors as needed to execute the various individual projects. Individual trade contracts and design professional agreements are held directly by KCI on behalf of SMJHC, and our team is responsible for the management and administration of these contracts and their associated scopes of work.
- General program / project management and administrative tasks associated with scope definition, bidding, contractor selection, contract management, invoicing and performance of the construction / renovation process.
- Participation in research, owner and staff meetings, site evaluations and similar events during the course of the project.
- Developing and managing the schedule in conjunction with the selected contractors, SMJHC and others as necessary to meet agreed upon deadlines and time frames.
- Providing input and feedback on ideas and proposals developed during the scope of work refinement and design process. Such input and feedback may include value engineering, cost analysis, peer review, constructability review and/or feasibility analysis.
- Serving as the primary point of contact and liaison for all parties involved in the delivery of the projects.
- Representing the interests of SMJHC in meetings with project participants, third parties, Owner’s Board and committees, outside public agencies and authorities having jurisdiction.
- Coordinating the services of designers, consultants, contractors, staff and others as needed to facilitate progress.